
This is the first day of 2009, and I want to die. I feel a deep despair at my very existence and my status as a failed artist. Why have I failed and what am I going to do about it?
To begin with, I made too many mistakes in my early life, which excluded me from the art world I've always wanted to break into. These included allowing myself to be talked out of going to art school at 18 when I first had the chance, and then when I did go later in life I went so far up my own arse that I disappeared into film work which I eventually came to realise (too late) was utter crap. The other thingI did was to fail to know myself: ie as a contemporary cross-media artist working in a variety of styles, formats and media. By the time I'd learned this I was 30.
These errors meant that I failed to make it into a London college of art. Now in Britain it is impossible to overstate the importance of doing this if you want to become a successful practising artist. Being a British artist is more about studying in London now, than it's ever been. Studying in London doesn't guarantee success, but studying art outside the capital more or less guarantees a life spent in small-town drudgery, doing crap jobs, being rejected by galleries, exhibitors, curators and critics as lacking the talent to attend a London college and therefore by definition, being crap. You need a pedigree. What college did you study at? Non-London? Sorry.
Being in this position means you either have to let go of the dream, which many people do and go on to lead happy and successful lives in some other sphere, or remaining a slave to it and building up a pile of "work" which is seen by no-one and living in poverty and obscurity, after which, when you are dead, your work will be destroyed. This only applies, I have to say to artists who like myself, are unable to compromise their intentions and need a cosmopolitan audience. Such people will live miserable lives with only their self-hatred for company and the world will remain ignorant of their existence. I don't think artists who study in London are better than those who don't: I've seen enough shows to be able to make up my own mind about this and think I can say this with authority. After all some artists choose to work outside London. I have no choice, I'm a slave to my dreams.
What other reasons do I have for failure? Well for one thing I don't like other artists. There is this naive idea among amany of us that artists are particularly "good" or "nice" people. This isn't so. Many of them in my experience are control freaks, competitive arseholes who are interested only in furthering their careers at the expense of others. I set up an artist's collective myself in 1999 following an exhibition and hated it: mostly because I didn't like the way it was going, with political and social agendas taking over from the creative impulse. This is necessary if you want your group to do well and gain exposure, but it wasn't for me. I resigned as chair and eventually left. Again and again I've seen the same, self-serving groups of people form power circles and hijack festivals, events, group endeavours, exhibitions etc so that they and their cronies can keep holding on to power and influence.
I suppose I would have been better off if I had decided to stop thinking of myself as an artist and become a postman or got a job in a chip shop or something. The failed artist, I sometimes feel, must resign himself to the oblivion he richly deserves . He must realise that he should give up attempting to become an artist and turn his hand to some more profitable enterprise such as selling hot dogs by the roadside. Failure is also permanent: it can't be turned into success.
Many people think success comes out of hard work: in my experience this simply isn't the case. Success usually comes without effort, or not at all. I've never seen anyone become successful by working hard, but I've seen many people become successful without actually doing a great deal. In art school for instance, the most successful students built personality cults around themselves and became "talked about." This was a precursor to their being "talked about" in the wider world. They were also able to manipulate and intimidate tutors who would either give them everything they wanted or mark them very highly because they were afraid of them. There are students at art school who intimidate staff, and other students, and it works. This doesn't mean their work was bad, they were usually very able: but they also did all of the above and spent a lot of time on holiday.
Sour grapes? Of course! Envy is the flip side of ambition, especially if you don't get what you want. I failed because I did not understand myself. I could have studied at 18, gone on to college at 20, and if I was so convinced I needed to study in London why did I give up when I didn't get in the first time around instead of taking a year out and having another bash? Instead I got a mediocre degree from a third-rate institution. This of course, begs the question amongst all this moaning, is my work any good? Well, hopefully, you can judge for yourself. I invite anyone to look at my images and critically appraise them: although I 'd prefer it if you could avoid just saying things like "This work is crap." If you think so, fine. Just tell me why you think it's crap!
Now, why have a blog if all you are going to do in it is bemoan your lot? Obviously no-one is going to read such stuff, so what am I going to do about it? I'm going to try and get a studio, then I'm going to try and upgrade my portfolio, and I'm going to apply for a Masters in London or New York. I feel this is a massive risk: after all, I'm over 40 and married. Maybe I'm too old, and I hope you'll share your thoughts with me about that. In the meantime I 'll keep working and having shows. I'd particularly like to hear comments regarding whether the work is of a high enough standard for a Masters: after all, I can't take seriously any comparison with my degree studies.
Please post your comments, and I will try to record what happens this year.
You've got a reader here. Sorry I came four years too late, but hope you're still around doing art.
ReplyDeleteI'm going through a lot of what you described :/ age 26. everyone still discourages me from going to art school and Im probably too poor to afford it but I think I'll try after all. Thank you for writing this.
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate your honesty, but I think it's important to feel you are a looser sometimes, just to rethink your work, situation, and take new initiatives to make art and promote it. I believe it's not easy for anyone to reach to the top of your ambitions. Probably it could be good to set your own short term, and long term targets. Success is not about a one moment that makes it all, it's about small events which all together, lead to the path of fulfillment. Questioning your work and techniques is a good thing. But you don't need to go to an art school to do this. You just need to work on them, and practice, find your style little by little. There are many books and tutorials which explain how to work your technical skills. Then, it's a question of practice to get them to be quick and execute them really well. What do you want? What makes you happy? If your art makes you happy that's already a good start, at least the crucial aspect. Are you proud of you work? Do you think your work is valuable when you appreciate it? If you are not convinced by what you do, how can you convince people that it's good? Remember that what you feel will be reflected in what you do. Don't look at others, or look at them frankly. You don't like other artists, but still compare to them. I think you should just stand for your vision. It's probably true that the art world is competitive, but it's great to talk with other artists. Probably you can't expect them to be exactly what you would like them to be, but still it's inspiring and there are nice ideas that come out from a conversation with your fellows, even if sometimes it can be frustrating. I believe in revenge and willing to prove yourself how strong you can be. There is nothing better than turning things the other way around. the bad things become stimulating, because it's like a battle. Not so much a battle with /against others, more a battle with yourself. I think it takes courage to write what you've written, and I am pretty sure that all people who reached success felt that way, quite often. You should doubt about the fact people like you and your art, but you should never doubt about the fact that perseverance and work always pay off. I think the network plays a big role, but even if you meet 100 assholes, you could eventually meet the 101 person who would give you a good kick, tip, or hand. I think you should use that energy to work and forget that you need to use a specific path to go wherever you want. Go to openings and network whenever you want, make it all naturally, but try to accept people are what they are, and at least you could just enjoy people's art. I think it's great to make things with love, there is always something good and stimulating to take in every situation. Work and believe, and don't be afraid to show what you do and just let people say what they think of it. You need to be humble but realistic. Some comments have a part of interesting perspective and some part of lie or don't fit with what you want to hear. Are you sure compliments are so good? I think they make you lazy and I believe that it's not the comments themselves that matter, it's the echoes they provoke in YOUR world of thoughts. Anyway, it's just one opinion and how many opinions will you get over and over... You are in charge of your art and it must remain something fun and that puts you into a good mood. Remember why you started, remember why one day you decided to go for an art career. Just because that was something you did naturally with pleasure. I think everything is in your hands because in life you can provoke events and make it happen if you want it. The power of will, patience and work is amazing. Don't give up.
ReplyDeletevery useful reply - this is encouraging!
DeleteMy goodness, I haven't looked at this for years, wonder if I should have another go...and what they out there think of the works.....
ReplyDeleteI think you should continue. This blog is so truthful. I feel it will help current art students. You could talk about how you were as a student. And also forget what people think of your work. I like it a lot and i dont think you should up but dont keep chasing a dream deviate from it and what makes you happy
ReplyDeleteDear Stephanie, thank you for your kind remarks!
DeleteDear Marcus, at least you're doing something you love. I was forced by my family to study medicine, every single day at hospitals is a living hell, I'm more of the artist type but finding myself becoming one of those types I hate most.
ReplyDeleteNo one has ever lead a life 100% success, for example, you have a family and kids and that's the dream of many people, including me (diagnosed with poly cystic ovaries and risking infertility).
Nothing is more important than health and loved ones. No amount of money can buy them !
If you appreciate your own art, you need no others to appreciate it!
God bless you, and please continue posting if you can.
Thanks for commenting! And maybe you are right as member so my family have been affected y poor health too!
DeleteMD
another aspiring ;artist' at 53 (ex art student 30ish years ago), I just think I should give it another go before giving up on the idea completely! So many doubts though, which stem more from a general self-doubt than doubt about my artistic skills or imagination etc....I don't have your level of ambition, but would feel great to be able to sell something and also feel personal satisfaction in what I produce...(maybe I should reverse the order of those 2). My worst failure thought is having gotten caught up in this extrememly lazy and self-destructive habit of going on line for hours each day just generally browsing like this - I'm finally beginning to feel literally nauseated by it though, which is a good thing. And I lost my job as a teacher too (despite my given name here), which is good, cos for me teaching took it out of me too much....Best wishes - I'll come back (bookmark you) one of these days. DO IT IF YOU WANT TO!!!
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what possessed me to type 'failed artist' in to Google, but I'm guessing it's because I harbour the exact same feelings about the so called art world as you. Trying to Make a career from art outside of London is one thing, but making a career from art in the post-industrial Welsh valleys is a completely different kettle of fish altogether. I'm practically a leper in my village. I've tried my best: contacted all the relevant galleries - locally and nationally, entered completions, sucked up to the right people (briefly) and organised my own artist's collective as a student, but one thing remained constant - nobody really gave a shit unless there was something in it for them, and even then you had to fail in order for them to get it. I feel your plight, you are not alone my friend. Craig
ReplyDeleteMate. As someone who went to art school in London and 'did well' I can safely say that going to art school in London is VASTLY overrated. Maybe you don't believe that anymore - since you wrote this ages ago I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt. I think you need to let go of the idea of 'making it', as if at some point all the bullshit - the rejection and general awkwardness that comes with putting your work out there - will stop and you'll have arrived and it'll finally all be worth it. If you're exhibiting at the Saatchi but creating work has started to make you suicidal the prestige of the gallery won't make you actually feel better about yourself as an artist. No matter where you find yourself in your career the process has to be the point. If you're still pursuing art you are doing the right thing. There is NO clear guideline anymore for what's good. But I hope you've understood by now that the actual pursuit - and self-doubt - will go on forever, no matter what level you reach as an artist.
ReplyDelete